Saturday, March 26, 2011

Oatmeal Sabatoge

Have I ever mentioned before how much my husband loves his bicycle? I think I have. He is a bike addict. He rides every chance he gets. And right now, at 8 am on Saturday, he is over an hour away doing a road race. Outside. It's about 25 degrees outside. That's either devotion or plain craziness. But that's not the topic of this post.

The night before my husband has a race or a bike class, he packs up his car with his bike and helmet. He also packs a gym bag with a change of clothes, extra clothes for layering and water bottles. Some of the water bottles are filled with protein potions that will restore his body back to its normal state after her burns 1,000+ calories riding his bike. Also, the night before he has an early ride, he prepares his oatmeal for breakfast. He'll pour his dry oats into a bowl and cover it with plastic wrap. Then he makes a little mixture of goodies to go on top. This bag of oatmeal topping consists of brown sugar, walnuts and dried cranberries, as far as I know. I don't really inspect it. So in the morning, all he has to do is add water to the oatmeal, heat it in the microwave and sprinkle his concoction of flavors on top and enjoy.

When I see that oatmeal all nicely prepared (with a banana) the night before, I just can't help myself. I start looking through the cabinets for something to hide in that baggie of brown sugar and walnuts. One week I put a couple chocolate chips in there. The next week I was a little more obvious - baby Swedish fish. Just a couple. But I'm careful to fully immerse them in the brown sugar, so hopefully they're a surprise. I don't think he noticed when I put white chocolate chips in the bag - they probably melted and blended in.

See that yellow spot in the middle of the bag? I wonder if he liked his oatmeal and Gummy Bears this morning. I'll find out in a few hours.

3 comments: