Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Why Are These Beads Smiling?


Because they can! I've always used the side of a knife (on my wedding registry from 15 years ago - who knew?) for my turtle bead mouths. The result is an open mouth, with a somewhat happy and somewhat spaced out look. Think muppets. But I've been trying for a long time to get my beads to smile. I've seen some pretty sweet tools that are curved in just the right way to make a smile, but I haven't been able to get my hands on one. A lampworker friend suggested using the end of a potato peeler, but I couldn't find one that didn't have some kind of rubber near the area that would go into the hot bead. But I loved the idea of the potato peeler, and I started looking through my kitchen drawers for something I could shape into an arch. I finally had luck with a 1/2 teaspoon (who needs the half-size anyway?). I used my pliers and bent the handle into a smile. I was so excited that my turtles (the ones with mouths, anyway) would now be able to express their gratitude to me for creating them ~ with a smile.


Say Cheese!

It's a little harder to see the smile on a lapis blue alien. I'm learning which glass is happy glass.

I can't take all the credit for the smile on the turtle at the top of the page. It's so happy because its shell is covered with rainbow Smudges murrini by rosebud101.

3 comments:

  1. I Like those smiles very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are very happy smiles on some very cute beads to say the least. Happy smiling...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are adorable!!! Love them!!!

    Licks from me!!

    Olive

    ReplyDelete