Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Hump Day Recipe ~ Pineapple-Mango Chutney


I got this recipe years ago when I used to go to cooking demos at a local gourmet grocery store. The store would bring in area chefs to make recipes from their restaurants. It was a great night out for me and my mom because we got to try foods from some really wonderful Chicago-area restaurants, and I remember the demos were only about $8 each. Plus, they paired the food with wine or beer (but I was pregnant most of the time, so my mom made out well with that).

This recipe is one that I make a lot. It's from a chef from Shrimp Walk, in Highwood, IL. It's very easy (a key part of my favorite recipes), and yet it is sophisticated and so flavorful. You might not imagine some of the ingredients going so well together, but it definitely works!

Pineapple-Mango Chutney

2 cups diced fresh pineapple (I've used Trader Joe's frozen pineapple - just as good!)
1 cup diced fresh mango (again, frozen mango is a good substitute & easier to dice)
1/2 cup raisins (I've subbed cranberries - tasty and pretty!)
1/2 cup diced red onion
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
2 T. lime juice
1/2 t. chopped garlic
1/2 t. cinnamon
pinch of cayenne, turmeric, ground clove, ground ginger (these might not be spices you have on hand, and you only need a pinch. See if a neighbor can spare a pinch if you don't want to invest in a full container of turmeric. But don't skip them! They all add lots to the dish).

Combine all ingredients in large skillet and cook covered 15 minutes. Serve hot or cold.

Easy, right? I serve this with salmon, but the chef recommended snapper. I imagine it would taste good with chicken, too. Or over ice cream.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful, Lauren. I will have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren, Turmeric is one of those wonder spices and so healthy!! Great for inflammation! It's worth the investment!

    Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete