Friday, February 5, 2010

Banner Headline ~ Getting to Know Kelly Schwark

Have you seen my latest Etsy banner? I love it! And not just because it's designed with Valentine's Day in mind. Over the past year I've had several banners and avatars designed by the talented and humorous Kelly Schwark, of Kelly Schwark Designs. She is so creative, and I wanted to show her off and also get to know her better. So let's get to it.


How did you find your craft, or did it find you?
I was born an artist. Some of my very first memories are of drawing on the walls with crayon, sketching out stories of my musing family, painting ornaments, creating sculptures with little treasures found in nature, snapping pictures with my very first Fisher Price camera- so many memories of “creating!”

When are you most productive?
I used to be one of those people that would have a burst of artistic energy while everyone else was fast asleep. The quiet of the night was a perfect to collect my thoughts and arrange them in a visual way!

These days, my creativity is at the mercy of my two and a half year old. I steal away moments to work when she naps or is engrossed in her own imaginative play with her little animal figures, baby dolls or kitchen set! But my eyes are always searching, studying, and examining textures, colors, patterns and compositions. There is so much around every corner to just take in and let inspire you if you let it!

Most proud of:
I am most proud of my little family. My husband and I will celebrate our ninth wedding anniversary this summer. During our marriage we had moved away from the place where we both grew up, saw the city and country that we loved so much suffer an unimaginable attack, said goodbye to one another as we faced a year long deployment, grew together as we were half a world a part, adjusted to life after being reunited, suffered change and loss, birth and death, certainty and uncertainty. Looking back at it all now, I can say that I am so very proud of the family that we have created for our daughter.


Chocolate or Vanilla?
Vanilla. No... chocolate... no, make that vanilla. Yes please; I’ll take both.

Laundry hamper: full or empty?
Full until the closet and drawers are empty! (Never enough time!)

What did you have for dinner last night?
I made us Ruben sandwiches! (They were delicious!)

Bed: made or unmade?
Made.

What’s on your nightstand?
Black and white photo that I took of my daughter and my husband hugging. (One of my favorites!)

Last book you read:
The Last Lecture.

Salad dressing: on the side or mixed in?
Side

Ever eat Playdoh?
Nope. I’d rather have a piece of chocolate.

How do you like your eggs?
Eggs Benedict.

Ever have a perm?
Do I really need to answer this one... yes....

Three favorite condiments?
Flavored Olive Oil
Mayo
Blue Cheese dressing- just a little!

Deep dish or thin crust?
I was born and raised a New Yorker- so thin crust!

What’s on your living room wall?
Black and white family photos!

Least favorite smell?
Cigarettes. Instant migraine

Can you play an instrument?
I played the Violin for eight years.

Pets' names:
Tina, but she’s often called kitty.

Ever try their (your pets') food?
No, but she often attempts to try ours!

Ever broken a bone?
Does a tooth count? If so, then yes.

Do you like guacamole?
YES!






And check out more of Kelly's work over at my friend Ankle Biter Beads' Etsy shop!

1 comment:

  1. great interview...thanks for sharing lauren...awesome graphics...

    ReplyDelete