Thursday, February 18, 2010

Therapy Thursday ~ secret ingredient

If you came here earlier for some therapy (sorry, Rachel!), sorry for the delay. I've been sick with a lousy cold for the past few days, so I haven't been on the tightest schedule. I also haven't felt like cooking. I've still felt like eating, however, but that's a different story. Needless to say, we've had leftover meatloaf and frozen pizza for the last four nights. Today I woke up feeling better, so I'm going to make dinner - and it won't come from a package or tupperware in the fridge. It will be an easy recipe, though, and I thought I'd share.

A couple years ago I took a cooking class at a Chicago restaurant called Red Light. Chef Jackie Shen was amazing, and she shared some Asian cooking secrets and shortcuts. One was her favorite sweet chili sauce by Mae Ploy. You can find it in the Asian section of your grocery store, and it is delicious! It's sweet, with a nice kick in the pants finish.

So here's what we're having for dinner:

Shrimp 87 (I believe this recipe is for one or two people - I make more)

4-6 U-12 shrimp (I don't remember exactly what U-12 shrimp are - I just buy medium, tail on)
3/4 cup sweet chili sauce (Mae Ploy)
1 medium tomato diced
1 stalk green scallion, sliced
1 orange segment (I use mandarin oranges)

Poach shrimp in water to translucent chilled down with ice. Drain.
Reduce chili sauce to 1/2 cup.
Add to sauce: shrimp, tomato, scallion and orange segment and toss evenly.

I serve it with brown rice. I also make this with chicken. I imagine you could put this yummy sauce on a dirty sock and it would taste delicious. And my son just said how good the house smells.


secret ingredient ~ Mae Ploy Sweet Chilli Sauce

shrimp close-up

1 comment:

  1. I recognized that shrimp the minute I saw it! I thought it was called Shrimp 99 though (shows how many times I've made it!). I will have to get that sauce though....it's even good on tofu. YUM! : )

    Glad you're feeling better, Sis!

    ReplyDelete